Friday, November 7, 2008

Decorah Teacher Forum Review

Monday, at the usual time for our Ed Psych seminar, there came a group of speakers who I found to be the most informative and valuable guests we've had to date: three teachers from the Decorah school district. It's one thing to hear about various policies, etc. from administrators, but to talk to actual teachers I believe is much more potent. What's more, the high school choral director was there - exactly what I aim at pursuing as an occupation right out of college. He had a great sense of humor and lightheartedness, and you could tell he was dedicated to his job. Most interestingly, he was starkly realistic about the challenges and truths of being a teacher...they all were, in fact. From money, to meetings, to administrators and students, they were all quite helpfully real about their lives in the educational system here in Iowa. I took a lot away from that.

1 comment:

musicra said...

I agree. I thought they had a lot of good advice.